Bat and Insect Mittens
Tuxedo Boy goes through mittens like you wouldn’t believe. Last year I made three pairs of the fabulous Hello Yarn’s Squirrel and Oak Leaf mittens; he felted each pair on the playground until they looked like this:
For some reason, though, this year’s mittens were just a pain to knit. It’s been several months since I did mittens, so I wasn’t completely fresh on the details of thumb gusset and side reductions. Tuxedo Boy requested bats this year, and I didn’t have a good chart for bats, and he needed the mittens as soon as possible, so I didn’t spend much time designing it–and totally weaseled out on mitten #2, giving it an “insect” pattern (listen, in Norway they call that the flea pattern. Fleas are insects). I messed up on the right thumb twice, and had to pull out inches of stitches to get back to the right spot for the gusset. It was a nightmare.
Luckily, a new pair will be required within a month, if last year’s experience is anything to go by, and I’ll have time to design something a little less . . . embarrassing.
In the meantime, I’ve set myself the task of designing a perfectly utilitarian pair of mittens suitable for all uses and occasions, and using it as a way of figuring out how to post a pdf to this blog. Watch for it!